The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gray_Ghost, RoseB), 153 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1060469 10/05/2014 11:23 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 643
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 643
Need to replace mine on my 1958 1/2ton GMC truck. Is there a tip or two that somebody could give me.
Thanks in advance


Danny
1958 GMC stepside GMC 302 six cylinder 3 speed OD trans

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
There is one or two good ideas in the Tech Tips section. You Tube has a few. All deal with inserting a spacer or support to keep the spring expanded as you close the hood, the spring stays enlongated and slips off the hooks. You an use washers if you want. Just takes a few large thick ones.


Drew
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 643
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 643
Okay, I have a few containers of nuts, bolts, and washers. I'll give it a try. Thanks


Danny
1958 GMC stepside GMC 302 six cylinder 3 speed OD trans

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 140
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 140
if you don't have washers.....nickels work pretty good too and are cheaper than washers. That's about all they are good for anyway.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 643
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 643
I have different size bolts. Thinking of jamming some in those springs while the hood is up then slowly close it. I understand now that I want the spring to stay "extended" while installing and removing it. I bet fender washers might also do the trick...


Danny
1958 GMC stepside GMC 302 six cylinder 3 speed OD trans

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
I wouldn't use bolts, they are round and I'd be concerned that they can roll out. Stick with flat washers.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 643
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 643
okay


Danny
1958 GMC stepside GMC 302 six cylinder 3 speed OD trans

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 362
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 362
I just used a short piece of cord. Just loop it through the hook and pull towards the front of the truck. Spring pops out and usually ends up hanging on the cord. Be sure to prop the hood up so it doesn't fall on you. I would have tried the nickel trick but needed them for parts.Larry

Last edited by LarryW; 10/11/2014 2:16 AM.

58 gmc 100 with 350 sbc

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0