The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, klhansen, jmoore, ronsway, tclederman, 1955 1 Series), 147 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,085
Posts1,056,329
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1060627 10/06/2014 3:53 PM
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 385
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 385
In the last 1000 miles I have gone thru 2 mechanical fuel pumps. I'm using the Airtex 4149. What seems to be happening is for some reason the pump arm that rides on the lobe seems to get stuck in and only returns out a fraction of the way. When the pumps were new the arm would fully extend allowing a full compression stroke and full return stroke to properly pump. If I let it sit for a while the arm seems to pop back out to its full outward position. even with all the lines disconnected and pumping it by hand it will still not fully return outward all the time.

Was I lucky enough to get 2 bad pumps?

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 592
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 592
I installed a fuel pump that I bought from Jim Carter about a year ago and have had no trouble with it. Here is a link--

http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/cart/product.asp?prodid=ME737&i=10318|||||

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I think I would try a different brand. I'm not aware of anything in the engine itself that would cause that. A lot of these parts are made overseas these days so who know how good the quality control is.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
Did your truck run before you changed the first fuel pump? If not you could have a bunch of rust / varnish coming thru and plugging the fuel pump maybe?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,825
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,825
Back in the dark ages, Airtex rebuilt pumps were always considered to be a bottom of the heap choice- - - -cheap and unreliable. See if you can find a new, not rebuilt Carter pump and forget about any fuel supply problems for a long time. It might also be a good idea to add a second fuel filter on the supply side of the pump to trap any sediment before it can contaminate the one-way valves in the pump assembly.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 385
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 385
Truck was a ground up build with new parts. The tank is new and clean and all new lines were used. I already have a filter between the tank and pump. Both of the Airtex pumps worked fine for about 300 miles each then started this issue. I get fuel starve now if i drive a little aggressively or take a highway run and keep the rpm's up. for any length of time.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,825
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,825
Summit Racing has NEW, not rebuilt Carter pumps for the 235 for $32.97 with free shipping. That should solve your problem. Search Ebay for "235 Chevy fuel pump" to find the Summit ad.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 87
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 87
buying airtex fuel pumps for an s10 resulted in problems - I find the brand questionable.


1938 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup
1940 Chevy 3/4 KD Pickup
1946 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup
1940 Chevy 1/2 KC Pickup
1939 Chevy 1.5 Truck
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
We put a freshly rebuilt dual pump on a friends 216 several
years ago from Rock Auto. Don't recall who the re-builder
was, but the truck had only been driven for a few miles when
it was parked and has been sitting in his garage for several
years. We went to start it recently and although the pump had
been performing just fine, now it wasn't putting out any pressure
at all.
We haven't pulled it off the engine because that engine is out
of the truck now, but I suspect it has something to do with
the alcohol and it's effect on the rubber diaphragm that was
used by the re-builder.
dg

Last edited by Denny Graham; 10/08/2014 11:31 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Summit Racing has NEW, not rebuilt Carter pumps for the 235 for $32.97 with free shipping. That should solve your problem. Search Ebay for "235 Chevy fuel pump" to find the Summit ad.
Jerry

Jerry,
Thanks for the tip for I will be working on a friend's 235 in a few days who needs a new fuel pump.


Here's a link to the Summit page for all.
216/235 fuel pump


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
The Summit one on Ebay is now the same price as the one Craig linked to plus shipping, with "free shipping". I checked NAPA online and they have it for $36. I called and ordered one. I went to pick it up this morning and was charged $40.89 plus tax. I was told to get the internet price I would need to order it online. I told them it sounds like a deceptive trade practice.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 385
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 385
My napa's here in the Canada Edmonton areas cant get the carter ones. Phoned all around town and guys only carry Airtex. A local old chev truck place is the only one selling them for $60 odd each.

Last edited by wolffcub; 10/08/2014 8:56 PM.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
This is in a NAPA box marked with the Carter number, M2118.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0