The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (WICruiser), 209 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,102
Posts1,056,184
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1051910 08/25/2014 11:49 PM
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 1
T
Moderated
Moderated
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 1
I have a 1960 GMC 1/2 ton with the 305A V6 in it. It has been in my family since new, and I feel confident it has not been changed significantly from stock. Whenever I search for spark plugs, I am given two sets of choices: plugs with 3/8" reach and plugs with 3/4" reach. When I inherited it, it had 3/8" plugs in it and I have continued their use because I am not sure of the clearance to the piston head. Does anyone know for sure that a 3/4" plug would be ok? The closest I have gotten to an answer is on the 6066GMC site which recommends a Delco AC4 (3/4" reach) for the 305E, which I believe was after 1964. Were there any clearance differences in the combustion chamber from 305A to the 305E? Thanks for any help or input.

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
If you use a plug that is too long, it can get carbon buildup on the threads that are exposed in the combustion chamber, and you may not get the plug out again without damaging the threads in the head! If the plug is too short, carbon can build up in the "unused" threads in the head, and ignition of the fuel would be poor due to shrouding of the plug tip.

You can probably check thread depth, crudely, with a piece of wire with a bent tip, or a dental pick, inserted into the plug hole. Feel for the end of the threaded hole.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0