The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny, homer52, Hotrod Lincoln, FAST55, fonz8261, Guitplayer, 1 invisible), 90 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,451
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
I plan to use white Centauri acrylic enamel with hardener to repaint my truck. I planned to add 40% flatner to get a primer look. My painter is concerned about the finished product, especially if at some time I would change my mind and want a shiney appearance. He is proposing painting regular ol' shiney and then using 1000 grit to give it a dull primer-like appearance.

Does this make sense?

By the way, the reason I'm going with a primer-look is that my wife's Bolero red '67 SS drive/show car and our two other vehicles take up too much detailing time as it is. I just want to enjoy my truck--a 261/3spd OD/posi driver.


1956 Chevy 3100
261/700r4 (formerly 3 speed OD)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
It doesn't make sense to me , to sand down a glossy paint job , to make it look used .
Think of all the extra labour you will pay for eek
I have used flatting agent to create a satin finish , then just leave it , as is .
I thought it worked fine . . smile

Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 247
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 247
I don't think that will work. Flattening effects are achieved by intrducing flattening agents into the paint. I don't beleive I've ever seen a flattening effect adquately acheived by using sandpaper.

What he is doing is trying to hedge his bets. He is almost sure that you will not like the outcome of the "flattened" paint job. He'll try to simulate the look by leaving the surface a little rough (although I'm not sure how, I'm pretty sure what he's attempting won't work). You see, since he's sure you won't like it - all he has to do to fix it is buff it out more. This way he's got a backup plan that won't cost him anything if you don't like it. If he does it the way YOU want him to do, he has to resand and reshoot. Money and time out of his pocket - get the point?
The only way you are likely to get him to do it is to guarantee that you'll pay him if he shoots it like you tell him.
At this point, my personal opinion is to get another painter - one that deals with more custom jobs. Regardless of what you try to do with your current painter, I sincerely doubt that you'll like the outcome. If you pay up front, they'll likely not be as careful with your vehicle, because they already have your money - simple fact of human nature. If you just insist that he do it your way, he'll slow roll your job until you get frustrated and take it somewhere else. Remember, production shops don't make much money by having to do a car twice. They'd rather not do it at all, than to take that chance.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How come you dont want your truck glossy ? I want to paint my own truck . I want it to be glossy .

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
He wants to enter the local "Show and Dull"
:p


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
I want to upkeep kept to a minimum. White is a great color--maybe not as good as light blue--doesn't seem to show dust, swirls, etc. Just trying to take it one step further.

Thanks for the responses. Will look for someone to shoot the paint with flatner.


1956 Chevy 3100
261/700r4 (formerly 3 speed OD)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
K
k10 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
How about someone to shoot the painter flat? wink

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
I finish painted my 51 truck with a cream color single stage urethane paint. When cured, urethanes will take fine sanding like lacquer.Then color sanded the whole truck with #1200 and used a buffer and fine compounds to remove the sanding marks.The paint has a polished gloss ,but not super shiney like a wet look.Looks like well kept old lacquer , but with the durability of a modern finish. Maybe spray the flattened paint on a test panel before spraying the whole vehicle, that way you can fine tune the desired look.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
what about just not shooting the gloss coat? not thinning down the last few coats. the paint will gloss some, but not shine as well as if it were glossed.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0