The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Joe H, Otto Skorzeny, Phak1, 1955 1 Series, 68ironhead, mick53), 94 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,624
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
Hi guys,

I just removed the 6 out of my truck and installed a 350 using all the original style mounting out of a '58. I have the trans linkage and everything hooked up and now discovered the exhaust manifolds hit the shift linkage. Is there a header that will clear both the linkage and the steering box? If so, how would I mount my generator? (I'm trying to keep it somewhat period correct...

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
if you want 'headers', you'll need block huggers, but the original style rams horn manifolds work fine for any small block .... a picture .... closer picture

Bill

Last edited by red58; 05/30/2014 7:27 PM. Reason: added pics

Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
My engine must somehow be sitting lower. That looks like the exact same setup I have and the ram horns hit. I kind of suspect my rear mounts are too thick. I'll have to check into that. Thanks!

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
Between the bushings in front I have about 2 1/4 inches. Could you please measure yours?

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
Oops, on my earlier post I meant mine seems to sit higher.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
which 'bushings' are you referring to? shifter? front mount donuts?

something that might affect things, I think the 55 shiftbox has different arms than later TF trucks, and it may sit at a different spot on the column - here's 2 types, the top one may be 55-6, not sure - and 55.2 arms, box to trans, have a pivot on the engine/bellhouse

at any rate, the 55.2 had the optional 265 with rams horns and used the same front engine 'birdleg' mounts, which are similar to, but different than, the 6 cyl mount pins

or maybe you don't have the front mounts in the right place?

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
I definately have the lower box in the pic with the bent up lower arm. I just saw on eckler's catalog they sell the front motor mount bird legs with a shorter stud but wouldn't that throw the geometry off?. I pulled the studs out of the '58 at the scrap yard and they were the exact same length as the ones the 6 cylinder had. My assembly manual shows a short stud like eckler's sells. Maybe that's my problem? It looks like you do have the 2 1/4 long one on yours though. I don't get it. I bent my shift arms a bit to make it work but don't have a decent set of manifolds. I bought aftermarket ones and they are much wider since they have 2 1/2 ports and they still hit.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
I measured the approx space between the donuts on mine, 2.5" here ... carb base on intake should be near level ... how's your distrib clearance? HEI or points? I couldn't fit an HEI on mine, too tight to the firewall

those manifolds sound like the corvette ones, bigger ports likely makes the exterior length more ... I've got some loose manifolds I can dig out and measure

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 66
The top if the carb is almost perfectly level. I have a pertonix "stock appearing" distubutor. There's no way an hei would fit.

You are correct on the corvette manifolds. They're pretty thick. I have an old set of ram horns but they're so rusty I may have problems with the studs.

Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 193
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 193
apbmalibu,
I was following your thread about the headers with column shift and the discussion created a few questions of my own. I replaced my inline 235 with a 350 small block. I retained the factory 4 speed manual trans. The trans bellhousing and factory crossmember dictate where the engine falls in the engine bay front to back. I also cannot fit a HEI distributor between the firewall and engine.

I do however intend on swapping out the trans for a SM465 with a NP 205 transfer case. I already have dana 60's for the diffs. Since the adaptor between the transfer and transmission has a mounting pad integrated in it, I will be able to fabricate my own new cross member for the trans.
Now, since I can locate the new x-member anywhere I want, (within reason), couldn't I move the engine/trans assembly forward a touch to allow me use the HEI? What do you think about this idea, forsee any problems with it? Thank you, I did not intend to hijack your thread. Brian.


1952 GMC model 473 dump truck
1951 Chevy 1500 stepside

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0