| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,454 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 94 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2012 Posts: 94 | Hello all, So my 235 is in. Holy crap what a great investment. I am still not able to sleep. Amazing rap on acceleration...way to happy. Heres the quandary... Took out 216. Used 216 flywheel and clutch (just bought for t5 swap) and bell housing. Great. Have a new HEI SUMMIT RACING dist. Worked great in 216. Set plugs for 45. Dist has Up to 16 degrees of mechanical and 6-9 vac advance. I set up my car as researched here as follows... Langdons dual webers, set idle to 2000 aprox, set air/fuel for best vac, adjusted idle, advanced timing a few times, test rode each time, and now no ping, instant throttle resonse(amazing) and runs great overall. When I try to hook up vac lines to ported hookups (as recommended) it pings and knocks like crazy. Worse, if I let it cool and start with electric chokes, it runs soooo bad. When I remove vac lines, perfect. Should I just remove all vacuum lines and plug? Just for kicks, I checked timing tonight. BB WAS right in the center window when I turned my gun to 10deg advance. I don't get what's wrong here? Thanks. Phil
Last edited by fiftee3; 05/28/2014 12:32 AM.
Phil
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | 235 should idle at 450-500 RPM when fully warmed up. With 10 degrees mechanical advance as a base when the vacuum advance is pulled in you will get some more and that might be the issue. Set the idle down, zero the advance at idle, hook up the vacuum and set with a vacuum gauge. Adjust timing to max vacuum, then retard it some, about 1 inch mercury on the gauge. Reset idle to 450-500 Rpm, set mixture screws to max vacuum and reset idle again if needed. Try these things before you pull out your hair. For fine tuning call Langdon and get information on how to balance the two carbs. Take your time and adjust one thing at a time. Easy to get mixed up with multiple adjustments.
Steve H
| | |
| |
| |