Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (51sub),
128
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,125 Posts1,056,338 Members48,440 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 25 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 25 | Getting into my first restoration project. I have a 66 C10 LWB step side. I've searched the site but can't find specific info. Is it worth trying to clean up (rust) the coil springs or just buy new. If cleaning is a good option, any advice on the best way to do it. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 | Welcome to the Stovebolt! Buying new is easy but my 1965 C10 springs were in good condition and I saved money by restoring mine. I can say that my springs cleaned up very nicely too. Here's what I did. Washed, then 150 grit sandpaper and a wire brush to get the rust scale off. I then painted the springs with POR-15. There are other products that will do the same thing, so it doesn't need to be POR-15. Then I sprayed low gloss black Rustoleum engine paint (not semi-gloss). I used the same process for my frame, suspension and trailing arms. After all, the springs are gonna see a lot of road grime, so how "pretty" they look is a matter of preference. Front suspension 1 Front suspension 2 Front Suspension 3 Front suspension 4 Rear spring. Show us some pictures of what you have! Please!  | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 | Also worth mentioning; the factory springs are better than replacements. The OEM coils are progressive wound, thus you get a better ride and load capacity. Notice in the photo Lugnutz posted how the coils are closer to each other in the center, and farther apart on the ends: Rear spring.  I haven't found any aftermarket coils for our trucks that are progressive. Hope that helps. John | | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 25 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 25 | Thanks for the responses. I just ordered the small starter kit of POR15 to try it. I was concerned if almost 50 yr old springs were simply wore out and should be replaced anyway. I have noticed that none of the replacement rear springs that I've seen are wound the same as the OE. So thanks for the affirmation, John.
I'm working on getting some pictures up. I'll post them in a new thread introducing my project. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 | What was the stance of your truck when it was all together? If it was level (side to side) and had some rake (rear higher tha front) the springs are likely still good to go.
As long as somebody didn't load the truck and leave it sit that way for years the OEM coil springs should be good to go.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 25 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 25 | Yes. Level and slightly higher in the rear. Cleaning them up today. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 | | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 293 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 293 | Sorry to piggyback, but the photo of Lugnutz rear spring raises a question. Our 66 Suburban has heavy duty rear suspension, according to the label on the glovebox door. My rear springs are basically like Lugnutz's, except the center 3 coils are touching each other, no gap between the coils. Are these the heavy duty springs, or is something wrong? I have never seen a picture of the HD springs. I was also told that they will make it ride rough, and I shoud put in a standard pair, which I happen to have. Any comments appreciated. Thank you.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 | Here as some C20 springs. Note the center coils are closer, but not touching. C20 Springs (3/4 Ton) | | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 25 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 25 |
Last edited by coker91; 04/29/2014 1:30 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 | Your link doesn't work. Nothing there. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 293 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 293 | coker91, yes, your springs look a lot like mine, but mine are still compressed in the vehicle, and those 3 center coils are contacting each other. The rest of the coils seem fine. One of these days, I will have to take the time so I can post a picture. Do you have the Heavy Duty suspension, and happen to remember, or have a picture of what they looked like before you took them out? There should be a label on the inside of the glove box door, with the various build sheet items, that would list the HD suspension, if so. Thanks for your help. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 25 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2012 Posts: 25 | I struck out on both. No picture of the springs in the truck. I can tell you that none of the coils were touching while in the truck. My build plate is only partially there now. Can't see anything on it about HD suspension but again it's partially missing | | |
| |