Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (Hotrod Lincoln, MickeyP, Peggy M, 55shaker, klhansen, Craig /49 Panel, Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny),
69
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,132 Posts1,056,386 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2014 Posts: 16 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2014 Posts: 16 | the starter on my new truck, won't turn the engine even though the engine isn't seized (I can turn it by hand).
I don't have a 6volt battery and was jumping the starter with a 12volt battery to test it, but if I want to try and start it can I just pull start it without a battery? or does it need a battery to run?
Thanks!
1942 Canadian 1.5t Chevy COE
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 | Yes, it needs a battery for the ignition (unless you have a magneto) but it doesn't need much of one.
I have driven several home and push started others using a dry cell lantern battery. They come in 6 and 12 volts and you can get them at the hardware store.
If the charging system is working the engine can run for a long time. If it isn't, you can get it home as long as you don't run lights, heater, etc. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | Wow I wish I had equipment that would pull start a 42 COE! That is a pretty heavy hunk of iron. | | | | | Joined: May 2014 Posts: 16 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2014 Posts: 16 | Thanks for the answer! that's exactly what I needed to know.
I'm surprised you say it is a heavy truck, from the info i found it weighs less than a modern minivan (<4000lbs) I hauled it home on a 7500lb cap. trailer with my dads '10 chevy 1500, but I was surprised that it weighed less than half of my '96 dodge 2500 diesel. It's amazing how bloated these newer trucks are!
You want to pull something heavy, try getting a '53 cat grader out of a snowbank, my dodge couldn't even move it an inch!
1942 Canadian 1.5t Chevy COE
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | It won't start without a battery, but it will run if you keep it revved up to where the generator kicks in. Even if your generator doesn't work, it will run a long time on something like a Gel-Cel. Alternators need a battery to work. There is a good chance that it won't start anyway. I would plan on hauling it. If you look closely at a 42 model, there just isn't much to them that weighs. | | | | | Joined: May 2014 Posts: 16 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2014 Posts: 16 | Ok, thanks! I have the truck home already, I was just trying to get it started while spending the minimum amount, I'd rather not dump a bunch of money into getting it running and then find out the engine is no good and have to start from scratch again.
1942 Canadian 1.5t Chevy COE
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,813 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,813 | Running one without a battery can result in some pretty healthy voltage spikes. The battery acts as a "shock absorber" in a charging system, so trying to run it on just the generator will probably end up with the electrical system seeing some pretty high, and very unpredictable output from the generator. If it hasn't been run in a while, it's also possible the generator will have to be polarized, and a battery in the system is definitely needed for that operation. The dry cell lantern battery is a possibility, but it won't last long, and the generator will not recharge it. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |