| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (cmayna, Gray_Ghost, Donf, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, Jon G, Forty9, Shade Baby),
104
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,118 Posts1,056,307 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 21 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 21 | Hello, I hope someone can help. The crankshaft pulley on my truck is loose and makes an awful rattling noise. I can see where the rivet holes have been elongated. It doesn't look like there's anything else wrong except for this looseness. Is there a simple fix for this or do I have to replace the whole harmonic balancer? The motor came out of a '53 power-glide car, so it might be hard to find the right parts for it. Thanks in advance.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 | Once the rivet holes get loose, there's virtually no fix other than replacing the damper. I'm not even sure if the shops that specialize in rebuilding them can rehab one with that kind of wear. Rebuilders are very fond of their work- - - -bring lots of cash! What width belt are you running?
I'd suggest putting an ad in the "parts wanted" section. Somebody here probably has the part you need or can be of assistance in finding one. I build up a new 2-groove balancer with the narrow belt with readily available over the counter parts, but it requires a little machine work on the hub to make the belts align properly. Even considering the machining, the cost is a lot less than the balancer rebuilders want for their services. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 21 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 21 | I've got a 5/8 inch belt with an alternator conversion. I guess I need to figure out if any 235 dampener with 5/8 groove will work or will I have to find one specifically for a '53 power-glide. Thanks for the response. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | According to the parts book, the only difference between the '53-'55 235 and the earlier 235 was the 5/8" vs. the 3/8" pulley. Both are 7 1/4" dampers, no distinction between P/G or Std. DG
Last edited by Denny Graham; 04/28/2014 1:53 PM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
| |
| |