| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,413 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 34 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 34 | I have a t5 I am going to put in my 1948 3600, what clutch do I need? What drive shaft do I need? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2012 Posts: 124 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2012 Posts: 124 | I think that you will just need the same size clutch as with your old transmission but the splines on the shaft are different so you will have to get a clutch to match the splines on the t5 shaft. I have never done this myself but that is what I have been told. I never even thought about the drive shaft needing to be changed but it probably will.
Gene 1959 Apache
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | I don't know how deep you are into this issue, but you will have to go to an open drive shaft and the best one would probably be the one that matches the rear axle you choose.
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 34 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 34 | My 3/4 ton has an open drive shaft | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | You will need to match the front U-joint saddle to your old drive shaft. You will need a good measurement from the rear saddle to the front and take that to a drive shaft shop along with the old drive shaft. They will make the drive shaft the right length and install the correct front saddle for you. Good time to make sure the splines are good as well. Last time I did this I took both drive shafts with me along with the measurement. They were quick and good about it. Mine was a Chrysler transmission to Chevrolet third member. Shop never even blinked. What I got back was balanced with both sets of U-joints and painted. Good splines as well. For the clutch, use the pressure plate and get a friction [censored] that matches the T-5 no problem.
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | OK some one explain why "disk" came out "****". I was so good this time no bad words at all.
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | Sorry, I did use the "Chrysler" thing didn't I. My bad.
Steve H
| | |
| |
| |