The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (PEB56er, Phak1, 1 invisible), 182 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,382
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1023900 04/24/2014 2:30 AM
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 34
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 34
I have a t5 I am going to put in my 1948 3600, what clutch do I need? What drive shaft do I need?

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 124
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 124
I think that you will just need the same size clutch as with your old transmission but the splines on the shaft are different so you will have to get a clutch to match the splines on the t5 shaft. I have never done this myself but that is what I have been told. I never even thought about the drive shaft needing to be changed but it probably will.


Gene
1959 Apache
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I don't know how deep you are into this issue, but you will have to go to an open drive shaft and the best one would probably be the one that matches the rear axle you choose.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 34
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 34
My 3/4 ton has an open drive shaft

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
You will need to match the front U-joint saddle to your old drive shaft. You will need a good measurement from the rear saddle to the front and take that to a drive shaft shop along with the old drive shaft. They will make the drive shaft the right length and install the correct front saddle for you. Good time to make sure the splines are good as well. Last time I did this I took both drive shafts with me along with the measurement. They were quick and good about it. Mine was a Chrysler transmission to Chevrolet third member. Shop never even blinked. What I got back was balanced with both sets of U-joints and painted. Good splines as well. For the clutch, use the pressure plate and get a friction [censored] that matches the T-5 no problem.


Steve H
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
OK some one explain why "disk" came out "****". I was so good this time no bad words at all.


Steve H
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
Sorry, I did use the "Chrysler" thing didn't I. My bad.


Steve H

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0