| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Hush, delky),
141
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,126 Posts1,056,354 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | I've been working on rebuilding my front end. The grease that is in my spindles and shackles is different than anything I've seen.
It almost seems like anti-seize. It's gold and pasty just like anti-seize, not the consistancy of chassis grease at all.
The only way it could've been in all the places it's at it by a grease gun.
Did they every make anti-seize in grease gun form? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | Not that I'm aware of. Could it have been heavy use from a previous assembly job? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | It was inside all the pins, greas zerks, etc...
Don't know how it could've gotten there other than by a grease gun.
When I was cleaning up the front axle for some paint. I shot some carb cleaner on the greasy areas. The carb cleaner and the grease had some sort of reaction/fizzing. Even stranger. It did clean off well though and seemed to eat through the old paint and rust.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 434 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 434 | Google "gold grease". It sounds like good stuff. I'd never heard of it.
R-Bo
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Big Window, Short bed Fleetside (under reconstruction) 1966 GMC 305V6 in the family
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | I looked at the "gold grease," that's probably what it is.
It doesn't seem as thick as normal grease. That may be why they used it, so the frontend turns easier.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | There are several gold colored lubricants on the market. Detco markets a good one and Caterpillar also markets one. Whatever brand it is, it is probably a premium lubricant. | | |
| |
| |