| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,105 Posts1,056,543 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 44 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 44 | I hauled an 8800 GVW suburban home last night for parts. The body is junk from being laid on it's side. The odometer says less than 10,000 miles and the steering box is tight. I don't know if that is original or not and I don't need the frame or suspension. Is there enough interest out there to bother scrapping the body and saving the frame? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 | Interesting... Suburbans from that time period were only 1/2-ton 3100 models. No 1-ton 'burbs. There were 1-ton panel trucks and some have reported seeing them with windows and seats... The frame would be the same as any other 3800 series pickup or stakebed.
Professional Novice
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | don't know if there'll be anyone in Alaska, but I think it'd be a shame to scrap it right off, the burb frame is different than the pickup and less common
Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 44 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 44 | My bad. I just got rid of the suburban I parted out, so I must still have it on the brain. This is a long wheelbase panel. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 | Lot's of parts are still desirable on the one ton panels, the frame is not one of them. But if there is a demand for one ton parts in your area saving it would be good. Running boards are hard to find in any condition, body mounts will interchange with the 1/2 ton (I think) brake parts/drums etc are worth saving. Wheels and hub caps are worth keeping. The rear header (rear door), rear sill, rear doors, rear valence, rear fenders, seat riser are interchangeable with the 1/2 ton too. Save the rear floor strips, patch panels made from the interior sides and the exterior sides (not reproduced) Gas tank is unique to the 1 ton panel and canopy express. Lot's of parts are worth saving in my opinion.
All in All, I would say keep parts off o f the frame but not the frame itself, but you can try and place an ad locally on craigslist or here on the bolt to see what interest you get. | | |
| |
| |