| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,126 Posts1,056,353 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 603 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 603 | Got the bed sitting on the GMC 370 now. Would welding an angle-iron tab, with a hole, and using J-Bolts be the best way to mount it? My frame has a choice of several holes to use. Might have to be more of an "L" Bolt to be able to insert it into the existing holes. I am thinking of making the bolts out of the 1/2" U-bolts that came with the bed. They were not long enough for my frame width.
Last edited by Old GMC Gold; 03/19/2014 9:28 PM.
57 GMC LCF 370 55 John Deere 40-W 59 John Deere 430-W 2000 GMC 4x4 56 John Deere 420-W Pix on Photobucket | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | Wow! I can't get any kind of picture in my head for this one. That is OK I don't know s%$# about GMC but mounting a bed can't be that hard to see can it? Got a picture for us? Cause I have no clue. There might be a better way...or not.
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | I've seen everything from tabs built onto the bed so it could be bolted to the frame to just plain threaded rod with a flat plate under the frame. How was it mounted before you took it apart?
Bruce | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 603 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 603 | There was no bed on it when I got it. A 'J' bolt hooks in a hole in the frame then goes through a hole in a tab on the side of the bed rails. These are on the outside of the truck frame as opposed to "clamping" both sides of the frame with U-bolts or flat plates. This eliminates squeezing the frame on the inside.
Anyway, since my first post, I went with the "J" bolts. Looks good and seems to be very secure. I have driven it over rough ground and nothing has moved at all.
57 GMC LCF 370 55 John Deere 40-W 59 John Deere 430-W 2000 GMC 4x4 56 John Deere 420-W Pix on Photobucket | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 |
Steve H
| | |
| |
| |