The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (LAROKE, Gray_Ghost), 124 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,543
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
Has anyone seen stainless steel vent visors made for the 1947 to 1950 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton pickups? I see the ones for the trucks with vent windows, but haven't seen any for the trucks without vent windows.


"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
How would they work? The visors work on doors with vents because the window glass when lowered stays directly below the visor. This offers rain protection if you just open the window a little. On the '47 to '50 the leading angled edge is exposed when opeing the window, defeating the purpuse of the visor. On modern trucks they offer a plastic visor that glues to the door frame that extends down the leading angled edge (but in my opinion wouldn't look good on an AD)


My Fleet:
1941
1953
1959
1965
1966
1953 Willy's Pickup

John

Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
Last week, I installed the vent window visors on my '52. Prior to installing the visors, I assumed the purpose was to stop rain from entering the vent window when opened during a rain event. But now, I think it helps keep water away from the portion of the seal that must be on the inside of the cab to allow the vent to open as this portion of the seal is less than ideal. Hope that makes sense. In the end, I installed the visors as that is how the truck was purchased. Do all vent window trucks have the visors?

Also, I have never seen them in SS (not saying they don't exist).


Last edited by cletis; 03/06/2014 7:35 PM. Reason: repaired link
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
I was assuming he was talking about these:
vent shades


shade installed



Last edited by cletis; 03/06/2014 7:39 PM. Reason: repaired links

My Fleet:
1941
1953
1959
1965
1966
1953 Willy's Pickup

John

Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
John: I would classify those as door window visors. Not much to do with the "Ventipane" window. But, re-reading the OP, it seems you may be accurate and I have it wrong. When I hear "vent" I immediately assume the Ventipane (GM's name for the vent window).

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 58
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 58
I'm really confused here. What are we talking about?

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
I am ...we are talking about the side window shades made from stainless steel that screw to the top outer lip of the door window opening. These were very popular in the 50's. Functional value: You could crack the window open and let fresh air in while it was raining and they helped shade the sun....yeah right. If anyone knows if these were made for the 1947-1949 AD trucks, PLEASE LET ME KNOW...or if anyone has adapted a set from a two or four door car that work, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.


"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0