The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (2-Ton, Gdads51), 107 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,475
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 28
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 28
Hello -- I have a '46 2Ton flat bed that I got a few years back. When I got her the brakes didn't work at all -- master cylinder was just about empty and the inside of the drums had powdery surface rust as if they hadn't been introduced to their shoes in 20 years. Filled & bled the hydraulic system, freed up the shoes & adjusted all four brakes and then started driving around carefully. The truck never did stop they way I thought she should but now things are getting worse instead of better. Essentially, the RR wheel has a lot of stopping power to the point it will lock up easily; the RF has a little stopping power but both left side wheels aren't even trying.

All four wheels are adjusted to where the shoes just barely drag. Brake pedal is good and solid; master cylinder is full and not losing oil over time; wheel cylinders look OK. When I freed up the brake shoes I was nervous about disassembling the hardware because I don't have a spare spring set and surely one of those buggers will fly around the shop never to be seen again, so I just used a pair of crowbars and pivoted the shoes out and in as the cylinder would do.

I'm tempted to pull both left drums and apply hydraulic pressure to verify that the cylinders really do expand. Is it possible that the left side cylinders are stuck and since this is a single chamber system all the oil is going to the right side causing forceful application of those brakes?

Any ideas will be most welcome. Also, does anyone know of a source for spring kits & shoes for the 2 tons?

Thanks,

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
I would bet the wheel cylinders are rusted and not working unless you've replaced or rebuilt them. My truck had that problem after sitting several years and I had to rebuild the wheel cylinders. They weren't leaking. Not sure why. But they wouldn't budge when you pressed the brake pedal.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
I would take all the drums off and check things out a little closer. You could even have an axle seal leaking and that could be causing the brake to grab. Marginal brake systems are dangerous to not only yourself but everyone else on the road.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
A tip for springs that might take flight. Put a small pair of vice grips on the spring. Then remove it. Grips are easy to find and spring will be right there with them. Take the wheel cylinders apart. I think you have both pistons stuck in at least two of them. maybe even the one that "sorta" works has one stuck. My money would be on the wheel cylinders.


Steve H
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 28
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 28
Proper attention to wheel cylinders it is. You're exactly right -- marginal brakes are dangerous. As they say, going is optional; stopping is mandatory.

Thanks,

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0