Originally Posted by 46gmcpu
[quote=jockbolter50 I personally would have no qualms about gluing some fittings to the roof assuming everything is prepared correctly.


I certainly don't understand the reluctance to rely on adhesive, excuse my blunt words but I see this as ignorance of the modern autobody adhesives. They've been holding late-model cars together for 10+ years, I think they can hold a radio up. [/quote]

I wouldn't say ignorance so much but possibly human nature?
It's easy to imagine the fusing of two metals with heat will create a much stronger join than adhesives alone.
Even though modern technology can create a chemical adhesive that will outperform the metal around it..i.e. the metal will fracture/fail before the bond.

I quite agree,bond the fittings to the roof,no fuss,no mess and no heat distortion issues from welding.


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.