Originally Posted by locksmith
Hello, I'm getting ready to start a restoration of a 1964 C10, since I didn't disassemble it I'm afraid that I may over look some part and have to go back and disassemble it and start again. Anyone have a list with the order to rebuild it? Is there a complete manual for restoring? Thanks Ken

Ken,
**(see edit at bottom)**
Welcome to the Stovebolt. Lots of knowledgeable folks here can help you.

I decided to do a full restoration as well. Some will insist that "restoration" means back to the original factory stuff. As for me, I just want the truck to be reliable and retain the original look with upgrades as necessary for safety and improved driveability.

The steps you go through to restore will greatly depend on several things.
Do you have a shop to work in and store removed truck parts until you are ready for them?

Do you have access to a lift?

Will you do everything yourself or farm some things out?

Tony at 4-5-6 Chevy Trucks gives advice as a simple formula. This is not an exact quote, but close. "Make it go, make it stop, if it's broke fix it, if it's missing replace it and if it doesn't belong remove it." (or something like that).

I think it is wise to fix the truck as it is to a point where it can be driven. That means brakes, drivetrain, (add steering and suspension if they are not safe as is). Then, based on the availability of a shop to work in, your access to a lift, and available space to store removed parts, you would proceed through the list that Nesto gave.

I had enough determination to start my work in my back yard under a tree. I regret every day that I don't have a shop. Still, I am making progress, but I understand how folks get in over their heads by tearing a truck apart and then it gets left in pieces, never to be finished by the owner who lost motivation.

Make a plan and try to stick to it. Spend money on things you need rather than things you "want". More than once I bought stuff that I knew I wanted, but didn't need at the time. Wife keeps asking "What are you gonna do with THAT"?" I still don't have a good answer. LOL!

As I read your first post again, I get the feeling that you bought a truck that was already torn apart. Am I correct? If that is the case, then what I said above will not apply. If you are starting with a rebuild of a truck that was already in pieces, then maybe the best approach would be to build it in the same order the factory did. That's assuming you have the space to store all the stuff until you need it. I guess we need more info.

Last edited by Lugnutz; 12/03/2013 11:02 PM.