I saw an ad the other day for a Painless Wiring remote power kill switch that looked just like a ford starter solenoid from the 70s.
The anti-theft solenoid allowes you to use a small hidden switch to cut the power. Sort of like a relay in the positive battery cable between battery and starter, or on the ground between the battery and frame. Here's the expensive and cheaper painless versions:
[img]
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/prf-30206_w.jpg[/img]
[img]
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/prf-30204_w.jpg[/img]
A 74 ford mustang starter solenoid switch which is also called a starter relay, for example, is pretty similar to what is pictured in the ad and I think it works the same way. You turn the key and it gives 12v full amps to the starter.
[img]
http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/51052.jpg[/img]
Any idea if one could use a $10 ford starter solenoid switch and not pay $100+ for the anti-theft version? If so, do I need a diode or is that a fuse the painless is using inbetween the starter side of the solenoid and the smaller lug(s)?