I see absolutely no advantage to swapping the already installed and working 4 speed SM420 for a later SM465.

Both are 4 speeds, both are direct drive in high gear.

To swap the 465 I believe you need to do some machine work on the bearing retainer and or bellhousing bore. From memory the old one has 4-11/16" diameter and the newer transmission ls likely to be 5-1/8".

On the other hand the SM465 is a good transmission, but I think no better than what you already have in this case, and it's some trouble and expense to swap.

If you're only unhappy with the PTO then remove it, 6 bolts, make a cover or borrow one from the other transmission.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-