harryr -

I bet that you are right ... some time in the past sixty years, a previous owner installed different tail lights. The right side tail light was an extra cost option in 1954, which may have prompted the change.

The lens screws on my reproduction '54 tail lights are 2-9/16" center-to-center. The reproduction '54 lights look like the originals.
> TOP: Original '54; BOTTOM: Reproduction '54

I bought the reproduction '54 tail lights at the Truck Shop. '54 lights and '55(2nd) lights are shown on the same page.
> The Truck Shop tail lights

The plastic lenses on the '54 reproductions have the correct "GUIDE R-T8" at the bottom, "Guidex" in script at the top, and have ripples molded into the plastic. (Purpose unknown.) You can see it in the orignal/reproduction photo above and in the illustration in the 1954 Accessories Installation Manual.
> 1954 Acc Inst Man

The reproduction '54 bezels are stainless. I painted mine black because the stainless bezels were only available on the delux 5-window cab. My 3104 is a standard 3-window.
> Jim Carter tail light Tech Tip

FYI - Reproduction "GUIDE R-T8" lenses without the bucket or bezel are available ...
> 1954 tail light lens

Looking at photos, but no first hand knowledge -- the lens screws on the '55(2nd) lights appear to be closer to the edge of the lens and maybe nearer to the horizontal center line. Both would cause them to be farther apart than the screws on a '54 light. I don't have measurments. Also, the lens is different.
> '55(2nd) tail light

- Lonnie


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all