I rebuilt my Carter YF carb from my 1958 Panel 261 engine. It was a mess before, but is running much better despite the accelerator pump linkage being fabricated from a nail! But shortly after reinstalling it it has started to stick at a high idle when releasing the throttle. This caused it to fail Air Care (Smog Check.) A quick kick of the pedal releases it and it idles properly - it is the slow release of the pedal that causes the problem. I removed the throttle linkage and it does it the same thing (releasing by hand at the carb) so I know it it is not the linkage but the carb itself. The throttle shaft is not sticking although it does seem a bit loose. I think it has to do with the choke or pump linkage even though they seem to be adjusted properly. Has anyone had this issue?
Has anyone used different carburetors on their straight six? I kind of like the idea of an electric choke - just because I think it is more environmentally friendly. Personally, I prefer the efficiency of a side draft carb too because the air is regulated more efficiently but that seems a bit radical.