Well ye can't go wrong for $2500. Any AD or GMC of the same
series that you can drive away is well worth that. Is it a five
window? A few years ago I almost bought a '53 3/4 ton GMC for
the same price but we ran into a snag on the title. It had been
a Hydra-Matic but was converted over to a 4-speed years ago. As
you can see from what some of the guys here have posted, there
is a group that likes the GMC look.
I've been driving a '97 GMC Sierra for about 10 years now, I
usually think of it as a Chevy since they are pretty much the
same truck now a days.
As far as the Hydra-Matic, I personally like them. I had
Oldsmobiles when I was just a sprout and thought they were a
good trans, again, not the opinion of a lot of folks. In fact
I've been gathering up the parts I need to convert my '54, 3604
from a four speed to a Hydra-Matic one day. I'm doing that for
the simple reason that it isn't that common and my "big old wife"
will find it easier to drive it. I don't think it will make it
all that rare as far as value goes, in fact it may even devalue
it from the standard shift version for most people.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL