I've been following the tutorial on this forum to rebuild the speedometer on the 1942 1/2 ton Chevy I'm working on (even though the one in the tutorial is a GMC). It looks very similar to the GMC one in the tutorial, but when I went to remove the odometer I ran into problems. On this one, in addition to having the shims and a clip holding the odometer shaft in the hole it rotates in, there is what looks to be a small brass bushing that keeps me from being able to just push the odometer shaft further into one of the holes to free the other end of the shaft so the odometer can be removed (as shown by Jeff) from the rest of the speedometer.
Does anyone have information on rebuilding the Chevy speedometers and know what the differences are, if any, from the GMC one used for the tutorial, or if I'm missing something here what it is? Like how do I get the odometer freed from the rest of the speedometer and taken apart? Thanks for any help because I really need to get this done ASAP and I don't have time to send it off to get rebuilt by someone else who specializes in this.