I am finalizing some wiring on my truck.
I have changed from lights to gauges. As well I am using a stock dash.
My question has to do with the way the ammeter is wired up.
Per the shop manual it looks like the hook up is this:
From the positive post on the battery to the starter (big red wire), there is then a black wire (18 ga.) that goes from this same connection through a couple of connectors to the back of the ammeter. Coming out of the back of this same ammeter connector is a black/white wire (18 ga.) that goes through a couple of connectors to the horn relay. The circuit seems to be completed as the horn relay is also connected from the batter via a red wire (12 ga).
The simple question: Is this correct?
It just seems to me that there would always be current flowing and thus drain the battery???
Just want to make sure I keep the smoke inside the wires (someone once told me that once you let the smoke out of the wires they quit working

).
Thanks in advance.