Yes, the timing cover lower bolt modification is well worth doing!

Sorry about that, I am/was a little confused about the assembly. The earlier question I had about timing cover gasket should really be about sealing the front of the main bearing cap to the front engine mount plate, and or will the oil pan seal that area?
I can now see/remember that the timing cover leaking shouldn't be an issue. What may be the issue is seepage from between the main cap and the engine mount plate if that joint was disturbed and not resealed?

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-