My pricey Optrel Satellite conked out on me this year and I replaced with Northern Tool auto darkening (came flamed at the same price, I believe). Something like $60 rather than $360

Not much difference. Biggest thing was the Optrel's headgear is much nicer and more comfortable, the cheapie is a bit tight around my ears. Optrel had controls on the outside so you could switch to grind mode without taking the hood off, and the Optrel had a red LED inside that flashed when in grind mode as a warning...Not $300 worth of difference, though.

Worse thing about the Optrel is it quit working before I got my money's worth out of it. As a hobbyist, it didn't have many hours on it. If I welded everyday I expect I would gladly buy a pricy one again.

Not to nit pick, but they really aren't helmets, they are hoods. Not designed to protect from head trauma injury, just UV radiation protection.


R-Bo

1959 Apache 1/2 ton Big Window, Short bed Fleetside (under reconstruction)
1966 GMC 305V6 in the family