Epoxy doesn't generally adhere very well to oak, as the oak is too acidic. It also isn't as UV stable as the manufacturer would have you believe.
AD lifesupport, if you are thinking of edge glueing all the boards together, to make one giant board, I would advise against it. (If that's what you are meaning) The boards will swell and move quite a bit more than you might expect.
Paint on the underside is a good choice. But there is nothing like seeing a truck up on the hoist with varnish underneath!!!! Hahaha.
If the truck is exposed to the weather, automotive clear will crack right away, and so will urethane.
Traditional varnish (like Epifanes) works very well. That's all I use for marine brightwork. Follow the directions, and stick on 10 coats, scuff sanding between each coat.
I would shy away from using steel wool on oak, any steel left in or on the surface will cause the oak to turn dark (from grey to black), as it reacts with the tannins present in the oak. Bronze wool is great, though it does cost more.
That's some of my 2¢.
Last edited by Mr. Lang; 11/21/2012 11:00 PM. Reason: one more try, I see it in the preview!!!!