Yes I need help and suggestions again. I'm wanting to do some 'mild' customization and 'freshing up' on my 72 LWB. Since it's my daily driver I figured I'd start with the drive train on her. My goal is to have an older truck that is 'reasonable' on gas, fun to drive and does well on the interstate. I don't do red light racing or plan to drag but hate not being able to keep up with traffic going uphill on the interstate. She currently is being pushed around town by an inline 6 (250) and I love having an inline in her. I have a spare 250 (from my son's Nova he's dropping a V8 in her) that I was thinking about doing some work on and then swapping into the 72 when I ran across a 292 after many months of hunting.

So my 1st question is which block to begin with 250 or 292?

Regardless of which block I build I figure I'll have to have some head work done. Is it necessary for me to get 'lump ports' or is that something for those building high performance racing inlines?

I don't plan on breaking either block down completely and replacing rods/pistons/etc. However I do want a bit more agressive cam. What are your thoughts on this one:

Grind Number: 252-56H
Intake Duration (gross): 252
Exhaust Duration (gross): 256
Intake Duration (.050”): 194
Exhaust Duration (.050”): 204
Intake Valve Lift*: .460"
Exhaust Valve Lift*: .470"
Lobe Separation: 112
Intake Valve Lash: .000"
Exhaust Valve Lash: .000"
RPM Range: 1000-4000

The 250 I have currently has an HEI ignition so if I build the 292 can that one be used?
For exhaust which would best suit my needs: full length headers or the cast iron ones that Langdon sells?
For intake which should I go with: Offy 4bbl with Holley 450 or Offy double bbl (on the 250) or triple bbl (one the 292) with the below carbs from Langdon?

"These progressive two (2) barrell carburetors are New, not rebuilt, with electric choke (sold in pairs only). These carbs were orginally used on a very small (97 cu.in.) engine and are not recommended for single carb usage, but are an excellent choice for dual carb setups. Note, order one (1) to get two carburetors." (really leaning towards these carbs on the 292 as my math says 97 x 3 = 291 cu in. Almost perfect carberation for a 292)

For the trans I'm thinking the famous "Frankenstein T-5 (Camero with S10 tailshaft).

I apologize for the many questions but what seems like a good set-up to me on paper may not be a good set-up in practical application. So just wanted to get some opinions before I start buying parts.