Chevy 216's have always had insert main bearings. I think some of the older ones were available as "semi-finished" items that had to be finish-bored after they were installed in the block, but that was back in the mid-1930's, IIRC. Model T, and possibly Model A Ford engines had poured main bearings, but not the Chevy 6's. If you've got the Babbit rods now, you'll need to get them machined for the insert bearings. The proper inside diameter for modified rods is 2.4030"-2.4040". A good automotive machine shop should be able to bore and hone the rods to that size to fit the insert bearings. They're definitely NOT a bolt-in swap! The other choice would be to get a set of .010" undersize reconditioned Babbit rods. Check Ebay- - - -216 Babbit rods are there pretty often. If you choose to do that, IM me about your old rods, I need 'em!
I wish you were closer to Tennessee- - - -I can fix that wobbly flywheel flange in a lathe, but shipping it here would bust the budget!
Jerry