Originally Posted by rustednuts
Corpo,

First off, what year and make of truck are we talking about? I'm assuming this is a Hotchkiss type rear? Torque tube type? Or is it after 1940?

Also, the 'dished' parts your talking about sound like the grease/oil deflectors that just sit on the inner axle prior to installing the hub. The grease seal should sit in the hub after you install the bearing, than the hub assembly can be slid on the axle.

Jeff

Jeff,

My truck is a 36 1.5 Chevrolet, the rear end was a torque tube style Eaton 2 speed. However. I am unsure of the exact vintage of my frame/axles when I looked up the VIN my truck should have been a short wheel base and it was not.

Yes, I believe you have come up with the name I have been searching for, grease/oil deflectors. I am under the assumption that there was no soft seal on the inside surface of these deflectors is that correct?

I removed my drums and never pulled the bearings, the drums were free of grease on the inside, therefore can I assume my grease seals are still working fine?

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of what a proper installed grease seal looks like?

Thanks for your help