Well it's been a longer start than I thought it would be but I'm making the finishing touches as we speak.
1-My trailer plate got stolen when it was in storage.
Getting a new one involved having to unload it and taking it to the CHP and having it weighed inspected. Etc.
It would cost me more than I had in the cost of the trailer. So I had. To find a friend in INdiana to re-register it. Finding a friend who is willing to waste their time at a DMV is a trick.... Mostly because I didn't want to impose. But it got done. Trailer is officially plated.
2- As I was about to embark, I decided to bleed and adjust the brakes.
No worries there, everything is in good shape.... Except for the growling in the hand spun left front wheel bearing.... That. Doesn't. Sound. Good.
How hard could it be to find a wheel bearing set for a 1950 1 ton truck?
Pretty darn hard
The Timken bearing I wanted to use is out of stock..... At TIMKEN. So I had to go with the NOS balls I found at a place in Sacramento. $188 dollars! For th inner and outer bearings. The the guy says ..."that's your cost.. retail is $327" I nod my head in defeat took the bearings in hand and went to the shop to replace them.
Meanwhile....
3-I'd been adjusting the carburetors and synching them and just plain making the truck run better when I noticed the truck seemed to be running cooler... According to the gauge. (that's foreshadowing y'all)
I'd just leaned the carbs and frankly the engine in theory should be running hotter, not cooler. Well, I decided to take a look at it after I dropped off the heater core to be repaired..
4- heater core... The repair was event less. Really. Fast, i had it back in an hour. Cheap too. $45
Install was fast. About 4 gallons of distilled water, a bottle of water wetter and a bottle of Barr's... I burp the system at the water heater and fire it up. No leaks, but I'm getting a little weirded out by the temp gauge NOT MOVING!

Here's where things get frustrating...
I had to machine a fitting to hold the sensor in the head of the 261. The fitting on the 216 was smaller, and it dribbled anyway. So I machined a holder that took an o ring. Nice fit and finish, and no leaks. Worked great.
I pulled the bulb and set it in a bowl f water and heated the bowl with a torch with the infrared gun reading 167f and the needle not budging, I set out looking for a good electric gauge.

This is getting long.. And I got an errand to run but I'll ad more when I get back...

Still in San Jose. Leaving today.

Jeremy



1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.