Dave, sweet truck, i have a thing for the 37 gmc as I have a T16 that i bought when i was 14. If i recall i saw this truck for sale on the Hamb for a good price, glad you got it and have plans to keep it decent vs a rat rod. anyway, i digress.

as far as shortening the wheel base, i was able to do it to mine way back when, the gmc has an open driveshaft and i removed the solid non slip section of driveshaft and used a cold chisel and 4lb sledge and took the heads of the rivets holding the spring hangers on the frame off. I then slid the springs and axle up that amount. I drilled and bolted with grade 8 bolts and it gave me a 115" WB if i recall.
I am also wondering what model yours is for sure, mine is a T16 and it has the vertical louvers on the hood sides and a different emblem and 3 horizontal trim pcs that are over the louvers. Yours has the later general motors truck emblem like on the 39-40 and no louvers. I bet you have a bit heavier gvw, or maybe a canadian truck?
As for an engine - easiest to fit would be an I6, although i shoe horned a 396 BBC in mine useing the factory steering box and a set of headers.

I see that your grille is banged up, i made new vertical bars out of solid aluminum. I am possibly going to make some of the curved horizontal ones too. if you want, PM me and we can discuss making some for your truck
good luck
jason


1937 GMC T16 468 BBC th350, 4.10
1941 Dodge COE 5.9 cummins, 9 speed roadranger
1947 Diamond T COE, hercules and 4 spd, all original
1955 Chevy LCF 9.0L IH diesel AT545
1962 Corvair (Elsie)
1967 Jeepster Commando
1968 K10
1970 Chevy C50 box truck