I realize many people have used pertronix with great success, but, make sure you have everything you need to put the points back in along side the road. I have installed 2 of them, one in a mustang and one in the truck, the one in the mustang may have been an issue with the coil as it was within their specs, but just barely and I can't actually guarantee the accuracy of my meter, but it blew a hole in the back of the module after about 20 minutes of running. I got it home but wouldn't start again. The one in the truck worked for about 6 months, then on the day I actually got my wife to come with us, I got a wonderful opportunity to study my fine city's bus system, and experience the pleasure of working out in the wind and rain. They said it worked on their machine. But it wasn't working in my distributor. That may have been voltage issues as my regulator was getting kind of funky, sitting still it had ample voltage,(I don't remember the exact numbers) somewhat lower than specified, but shouldn't have been a problem. But when cranking it wouldn't fire until the last split second when I took my foot off the pedal I would sometimes get one pop. All I know is I could work on points for the rest of my life and it still wouldn't be as much of pain in my #$$ as that one day. I have owned this truck since 1984, and I have never failed to get it home, until I UPGRADED my ignition. There are a lot of posts praising pertronix, but when I specifically asked for others experiences with them, there was about 40% with bad experiences. It didn't make it run any better, maybe even a little worse actually. I am somewhat suspicious of their setup as when I returned the unit that failed, they sent me a completely different setup, that doesn't use a magnetic ring, just picks up off the high spots on the distributor cam. Makes me wonder why they felt it was neccesary to change the design. Oh and don't forget to keep the points and all the little wrenches you need to re-install them with the truck at all times.
Last edited by brokenhead; 06/07/2012 11:56 AM.