I agree about the cracking concern. That's why I figured I'd ask on here... It could be set up so that the travel before the auxiliary stack kicks in isn't very much though. Maybe only 1".
I've seen long springs with no shorters under them before... Hmm.

Good point about the air bags- maybe I'm over thinking this... smile

I sort of like the look of the auxillarys though...

Anyone have a compressor that's driven off the PTO? Prob more pain than it's worth but it would be cool!

I bet if I did air bags I'd need to get shocks on it too ( plan on it anyway) as they wont have the inherent slight damping affect of the springs that rub against each other as the flex.

Also if you went airbags and soft springs if you'd get more misalignment between body and axles during unloaded acceleration doe to torque. No torque tube so that stack of springs is what's resisting the driveshaft torque. from twisting hte axle orientation.