Removed and tore down the Rochester B from my 216 again today. Discovered that I had installed the wrong gasket between the two halves of the bowl so put in the correct one. I also reexamined the check balls to make sure I hadn't put the wrong size ball in the wrong holes. All seem to be correct. Also read in the instructions that if you had a carb insulator that you did not have to use an additional gasket there, so I removed the one I had on top of the insulator. Bolted the carb back on, filled it with a splash of gas and started it up. After it came up to temp I took it for a spin. It still backfires, coughs and sputters when I take off, and when I shift through the gears. It runs much better if I pull the choke half way out. Seems when I mash the accelerator down it hesitates and seems starved for fuel. I pulled it back in the garage and raised the hood. I sprayed some carb cleaner at the base of the carb on the insulator connection and the engine started to die. When I stopped the spray it regained RPM's. This tells me there's a leak there. Would this be the source of my problem now?
Any ideas about what's making it run so rough?
Thanks a lot.