I'd suggest using some Plastigauge, and see what the clearance is. I'm going to venture a guess it's going to be .003"-.005". I wouldn't risk the health of the engine over the cost of a set of rod bearings, especially since you're that far apart already. If the bearings continue to deteriorate, they're going to overlap, one shell will wedge itself over the other one, and the rod will lock up. It breaks just under the wrist pin, and commences to saw its way through cylindedr walls, the water jacket, and probably the oil pan. It also makes some expensive noises in the process. Other than that, no problems that I can see.
Has the engine been using lots of oil, and probably doing its best to imitate a mosquito fogger from the road draft tube? If so, the combustion gases getting into the crankcase form acids that eat everything, particularly connecting rod and main bearings.
Jerry