So I figured I'd start a budget build thread for my newest project. This will be my daily driver/shop truck etc. I use and abuse my trucks exactly how they were meant to be used grin

First off this 49 a runner/driver about 15yrs ago supposedly. I tried to get it to run, except all the wiring is a rats nest and some even caught fire before. So instead of just getting it going for now, I started the tear down. I pulled out the entire electrical wiring harness from the truck. Didn't take long, only 30min of cutting and pulling to make sure I got every piece of wiring out of there. Next I took off the frontend which only took an hour to do by myself. I forgot how heavy these things are to lift off, but I got it all off complete with no damage.

[IMG]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/otservice/IMG_6995.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/otservice/IMG_7268.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/otservice/IMG_7269.jpg[/IMG]

I got a '76 GM motorhome from a buddy for $60 (cost of the tow) otherwise it was free. I found about $5 in change in it and a $50 gift card to a local restaurant grin It's got a good running rebuilt 350 engine with TH350 tranny. I didn't drive it around but got it running after hot wiring it. I spent an hour or so cleaning out all the garbage as somebody was living it before it got impounded. Once it's all cleaned out, I stripped the interior out of it and then took down the walls and roof and separated all the materials in piles ready for the dump and recycling. The only thing left is the floor and cab, which'll come off this week. Then I'll bring the chassis to my house for the swap. I've got about 6hrs in to the tear down of the motorhome with just me using a large axe to take the entire thing apart. If I had just used my bobcat when it was here, it would've taken 15min lol Oh well...

[IMG]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/otservice/photo1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/otservice/photo.jpg[/IMG]

I'm hoping to keep this build around $2-3000 for a complete running/driving daily hauler. The truck will be placed on the dually chassis, with a custom 4-link rear end airbagged. I'll be getting some 19.5-24.5" semi rims and tires to bolt on sooner or later. Most of everything I need I already have or I will buy/sell/trade for to keep within budget. A few things will be new, like a wiring harness, otherwise most will be gently used hahaha This is a work truck, not a show truck. I did all my measuring up for the rearend of the truck and I'm about 20" wider than the '49s body lol I can take the bed out 6" but then have 14" to widen the fenders PLUS extra inches for the semi rims. I got some semi rims for cheap, so I think I'm probably going to sell my bed since it's in great shape and shouldn't be cut up. I'll just run a custom flat deck on it with big stainless semi truck wheel well grin

March 1st - Had a couple hours of free time tonight, so I disconnected the dumpbed and lifted it off the frame. I didn't realize how heavy this bed would be..I'm so used to short beds hahaha I had to get underneith of it and use my legs to press it up into the air as I put pieces of metal under it. Then once I got it high enough, just stood in the middle of the frame and lifted it up till it stood straight up. darn HEAVY!! Gotta be at least 500lbs complete with wood.

[IMG]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/otservice/IMG_7274.jpg[/IMG]

Then I just unbolted the running boards which is easy except for the front ones. They are a PITA cause there's a few things in the way of the mounts. Cant take the drivers side off until I remove the cab, oh well.

[IMG]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/otservice/IMG_7277.jpg[/IMG]

Nate

Last edited by dubds10; 03/07/2012 8:54 PM.

1957 GMC 1/2T SWB Stepper - daily drive for summer
1965 Chevy P10 Shorty Ice Cream Truck - project
1963 GMC Commercial Fire Dept Van - project


http://s1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/otservice/