I could use some help troubleshooting:

Just brought home a '64 c10 on Friday night. It is idling at about 2,000 rpm and there is a popping sound that is most notable at the exhaust pipes. The popping sound isn't all that regular (as in every 1 second). Usually the popping starts after it has been idling for a minute or two.

The engine has a Edlebrock 1406 Performer Carb, 600 cfm, four barrel. Its been raining here since I bought the truck, so I know it is a small block chevy V8, but can't get in there to find the block number to be totally sure whether it is a 350 or 327.

There have been two or three times when the planets have aligned and the engine hits that sweet spot of 800 - 900 rpms and stays there for a bit ... no popping sound then.

I'll admit to being totally green here. I've downloaded the carb manual and have done on-line research. Here's my list of top contenders:

Vacuum leak; choke needs adjusting; timing belt needs adjusting; spark plugs; ignition cables. There are other options here I've read about that sound a lot more serious.

I'll bring the truck to a shop if I have to (when I can get the $$), but would really appreciate any thoughts on how to approach this and what it might be.

Last edited by BrianW; 01/25/2012 6:24 AM.

'64 C10 1/2 ton fleetside