Carbking, I am surprised and I guess delighted that you like the ThermoQuad. I have never had one or worked on one, but I had always thought they should be a good carb. Back in the day when they were still around it seemed as though no one had anything good to say about them. Everyone claimed the plastic section warped and then they were junk.
I have to wonder if the AVS carbs that you don't like had the two idle mixture screws or were they the ones with the single air-bleed screw in the middle? All of mine including a parts carb and a large primary 440 carb that I used to have, had the two mixture screws. As far as I know the '68 mopar and a few '69 used the single air-bleed that was located directly above the large vacuum outlet, bottom center front. I recall trying to help someone tune one of those up and we never could get it to run as smooth as you would like.
I have a 1968 HotRod magazine around somewhere that shows how they thought a '68 roadrunner should be tuned up. They said to turn the screw all the way in, which is counterclockwise because it has left hand threads. By they, I'm not sure if it was saying **** Landy did it for them or was just advising them to. You did mention about the screw or screws being turned all the way in.
Bt, your question about the two and three step rods is mentioned on this web site. I was looking around for more info on the different types of idle circuits and found it.
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/155_0305_carter_avs_carburetor_install/pictures.html They just used the flat AFB rod covers and the AFB rods and jets.
?You can't say a guys name? How about "Richard" Landy? I guess you can't say, "Dandy ****" either?
Bt, earlier you said, "a passenger-side EGR port (which I intend to delete."
That's not an EGR port. On '69 and earlier the air-vent or bowl-vent, what ever you want to call it was on the outside, behind the pump rod and connected to the pump linkage. In '70, they moved it inside and on the choke side of the carb. that "port" would have been connected to the charcoal canister to absorb all the evaporated fuel. I cut the cone section out of a carb filter so that it is a tight fit in the tube. It lets it breath and keeps the dirt out. I can never remember what these filters are called. I always call them stone filters. [img]
http://www.zip-products.com/Zip/assets/product_images/CZ-1012.JPG[/img]