I get around 15-18 mpg in my 1-Ton. I drive slow, and take off slow.

Did I mention I drive slow? I generally chug around in fourth at 25-30 mph. I almost always start off in first gear to get rolling. I've found that I get the same mileage loaded (2500lbs) or empty, I just accelerate slower when loaded. I also coast to lights, and always try and keep the wheels turning when creeping towards a red light, so I'm not accelerating from a dead stop. Like driving a big rig. On the rare occasion I run on the highway for any distance at 50 mph, my mileage is about 15 ish, or a little lower, depending on how windy it is. Going fast costs money, so I leave early, and take the two-lane scenic route.

I have dual carbs, and headers, but I've never actually put my foot all the way to the floor.

When driven as my friends drive (like maniacs), it gets 10 mpg.

Tim, when I get the panel on the road here, I expect that it'll be so aerodynamic that I'll have to stop every once in a while and siphon the gas out of the tank,so it won't overflow.


I think mileage is personal, and depends more on driving habits than anything else. If you try and keep up with modern traffic when leaving a light, you are going to burn allot more gas, than if you just run up through the gears at fully loaded dump truck speed.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck