Originally Posted by omegaone1954
hello i need help i want to upgrade the rear end to get rid of close tube i want to retain the 6 lug im keeping the original 235 and 4 on the floor.

Welcome to the Stovebolt universe. You could state your objective speed/distance wise for us to keep us from wild speculation.

Some bullets...

-you don't need an 'upgrade' if the axle is in good working order and all your truck activity won't involve the interstate

-Patrick's 355 gear set is $450 + $60 for their speedometer correction device. For half of that money I threw away the tt (which had imploded), put in a 3.90 pumpkin, got a driveshaft cut and balanced, bought and rebuilt a '62 3sp+od, and am in the 11th year of daily driver only vehicle status running down the interstate @2000-2100 rpm's at 70 mph.

-I don't call what I did an 'upgrade', I call it a change to fulfill the need I had/have for my truck.

Keep us posted of your decision and progress, we are all happy that you found the Stovebolt and are eagerly awaiting the results of your journey.

A fellow traveler,

Cosmo



~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer