| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (Bill Hanlon, Jon G, Ponchogl, dt235sd, rfs56trk, Steelonsteel, Maybellene, 49choptop, 1 invisible),
120
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,096 Posts1,056,478 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#78684 06/11/2007 4:34 PM | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 99 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 99 | OK guys, I know this question is both basic and not from the normal Stove Bolt era but I know you all can help.
I just bought my 44 year dream ride, a 62 Corvette with a 327 300HP engine.
Problem is it runs very rich as evidenced by plugs being very black and car leaves black marks on drive way just below exhaust outlets. (Black is not from tires).
Engine start fine but will give a backfire when cold and you goose the throttle. Backfire goes away when warm. Black carbon on plugs can easily be chipped away with fingernail. Plugs were wet. Plugs and wires appear to be in very good condition and appear to have been recently replaced.
I put in reg gas but think I need to go to higher octane because of dieseling at shutoff. Spec compression ratio is 10.5/1
Questions:
1. Can some tell me where the mixture adjustment is located on this carburator?
2. To adjust mixture (lean-rich) do I need any special tools or gauges?
3. How do you determine a starting point, normal mixture from which to make adjustments?
4. What is a good reference manual to read up on carb adjustments. | | |
| |
| |