I did not ask a question (maybe you are referring to someone else?). Different states and even different people in the same state used either the Vehicle ID or the engine serial number on the title and/or on the registration.
"Do I need the engine number to find out?"
You want to know the day and month that your truck was made?
The closest you will get to the date that the truck was made is from the head date-casting code and the block date-casting code. The locations of those codes are shown at the link that I gave above. Also, the location of the engine serial number is shown at that same link.
There is no date code on the truck itself. All you can guess/assume is that the truck was assembled after the block and head (or the transmission or the rear end) were cast.
Maybe someone has production numbers for different models of 2nd series 1955 Chevrolet truck but I do not recall anyone posting this information.
If you not already obtained this information from the GM Heritage site. Go to this page:
http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.htmlThen click on "Show" on this line at the above page:
Chevrolet Trucks (All Models Not Listed Below) ShowLook for
1955 Chevrolet Truck 2nd Series (WARNING: it will be a large download). Keep this file/document handy - it will be useful in answering many questions.