Boy, you asked a question that is like asking what it the best tooth paste. Everyone has their favorites and they all probably will do the job. Some like the silicone gasket makers which I feel are just that, a gasket maker where there isn’t any paper or cork gasket to seal up. Some like the exotic European stuff that the formula one racers use for $40 a tube. Then there are the old timers who swear by Indian Head Shellac, and some don't like any gasket sealer at all.
I personally use only three Permatex products for most of my projects. These are time proven in my book and I’ve been using them for many decades all the way back to the 50‘s.
Permatex #2 non-hardening in the tube for engine sheet metal, water pumps and outlets, transmission and rear axle castings.
Permatex 3H Aviation Form-A-Gasket liquid for threaded connections and very light thin paper gaskets like the steering gear.
Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket for a head gasket because the copper helps in sealing and heat transfer.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 08/11/2011 6:29 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL