Bill, interesting bit of information, I would like to know how you discovered that? I know this is a little off subject but since we were discussing the stability of castings and the blocks and heads are castings this may be appropriate. Much of the time these are warped also.
Although the following link is a discussion about wood working machines, I believe the metallurgical aspects of it do add to our discussion;
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19751 Another interesting site is taken from the previous link;
http://www.meehanite.com/ Here is a page out of a very old book, “Modern Toolmaking Methods” 1915. much of this still applies to the vintage castings that we are working with;
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2150977240098611668WmWoBn Our knowledge of Metallurgy technology is being up dated daily. As a result we are producing much better castings today than we did 60 years ago. So I think we have to remember that most of the castings that we are considering here were poured 50 or 60 years ago.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL