Where is the play, the ID (inner race)of the bearing or the OD (outer race)? You must determine the play as between the shaft and the ID of bearing or the tube and the OD of the bearing or "balls loose" or what? Then you can determine whether it's the brg or the column. Maybe you got a AD brg. Need to "mic" the shaft, the Id of brg, the OD of brg and ID of tube. Then compare. Did it "press on" or slip on or fall on. See if the bearing acts normal when removed. I.E. Is ID tight to OD? There will be some axial play and some radial play. Not second guessing your abilities just going over what I can think of to help. You need to measure the parts, don't assume your column is good or the bearing is good or the seat is good, etc. Measure all, re-think, read manual and redo. Be sure you don't have an AD or a V8 era bearing that was shipped by mistake. Maybe they are the same don't know. I doubt very much if the bearing is built wrong for it's intended application. Did you get a lower bearing instead? Remember, I'm just touching all bases. That's how I troubleshoot things, so don't get offended by seemingly obvious suggestions. The installation of this bearing is shown in my manual. It is pressed on until flange of outer race seats on inside step of tube. I think the spring and seat load the bearing inner race. Maybe Bill will go over this assy sequence to be sure you have it. I have taken things apart and kept track of their sequence only to find out the guy before me had it wrong. Sometimes that's hard to catch. I believe if the lower bearing is worn it may allow a column to pivot on the top bearing and seem as though it's the top bearing? Good luck, let us know please!

Last edited by cletis; 07/18/2011 2:00 PM. Reason: language

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn