If you can see the inside of the tank and it looks shiny then you are OK. Dump in a bunch of WD40, shake it up and store it until ready for use. Just don't wait too long to use it. (It's my understanding that the secret ingredient in WD40 is fish oil. Whatever. It's good stuff. Can also be used as a manley cologne.) If the inside of the tank looks rusty, replace it with a new tank. As you discovered, rust will make it's way into your fuel system and you will have a breakdown. Not fun. If you can't see the inside of the tank, I would replace it. Also, install an extra fuel filter somewhere in the line that filters down to say 9 microns. (Most filters only work on big chunks). I contacted Puralator and spoke with an engineer. In India. It was a tedius conversation. Don't do it unless you have a high tolerance for frustration. The filter I ended up with is an F64711 that is designed for a later model vehicle but had nipples that would accomodate sections of fuel hose and the filter is hidden so no one will ever know you put something modern on your truck. You could possibly find a filter from Summit that filters down to that level but I like being able to just grab a filter off the shelf at the local Napa auto parts.