Converting from a stock transmission/drivetrain to a T5 w/open drive is challenging but not impossible if you have the tools and equipment to complete the task. If you are limited by time, experience, equipment and dollars I would suggest you evaluate what you're going to be doing with your truck. The T5 overdrive transmission, when coupled with the correct differential R&P ratio gives you excellent cruising speeds on the open road.

I've put nearly 14,000 miles on my 54 235/T5/3.42 combination and suggest you check out my Webshot albums where I've documented the conversion process. As for the clutch pack being an issue, I've used both the rcf 4201 and the disc from the 83-84 Firebird 2.8L with NO fitment issues. The stock pressure plate for the 153 tooth flywheel and the stock throwout bearing (long)finish off the setup. The necessary modifications to the transmission are clearly outlined so you will get it right the first time around.

As for the foot stomp....the conversion to the T5 doesn't effect it's operation. However, you're going to have some issues trying to match up a n open rear end with 8 lugs with the correct R&Pinion ratio to match your particular T5 od/rr tire diameter ratio. The 3/4 ton drive train is going to give you some headaches and you'll sacrifice some of the ruggedness of the 3600 drivetrain.

Dave

Last edited by Fla54Chevy3100; 05/02/2011 2:00 AM.

Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"