Josh,
What a cool old truck - a real piece of history! I love the door art especially.
I've got a '41 Fire truck, same basically as yours. Mine showed up with a 216 engine, which I learned was a replacement for the original. It seems these Chevy 6s commonly froze and got cracked blocks. So until you run the numbers on your engine block, you won't know what you have for sure.
The truck vin was on a plate on the passenger side, on the cowl, under the hood, close to the door hinges. A little rectangular plate. If all you find are 4 little holes, the plate's gone missing.
Get catalogs from Jim Carter Chevy and Chevs of the 40s. MOST of what you will need can be found in these and other catologs, and they've got a lot of info. on what's supposed to be there. Just about anything can be found - if you run into a tight spot, just post here - someone will have the answer, for sure.
Send me a Personal Message with any detailed questions if you want - glad to discuss this vintage, it's my favorite.
-Michael